2013 is the fortieth anniversary of the first celebration planned in Mansfield, Missouri to honor Laura Ingalls Wilder. Schedules for the event are at the Mansfield Chamber of Commerce website.
Laura Ingalls Wilder wrote the renowned Little House series of children’s books about her family’s pioneer experiences throughout the midwest in the 1th century while living at Rocky Ridge Farm, just a couple miles down Hwy A from Mansfield.
The community is proud to share the joy of these beloved stories which later became a popular television series entitled Little House on the Prairie. That series, an inspiration of Actor/Producer/Director, Michael Landon is popular all over the world, just as the story books still are.
Dean Butler, the actor who played the part of Almanzo in the Little House on the Prairie series will be a guest at this year’s event and will be Grand Marshall of the Parade.
During the weekend of September 20, 21 and 22, 2013 people from the region and all over the country will join the Mansfield community for
- Little Laura and Little Almanzo Look-A-Like contests (Kids dressing up in pioneer clothes)
- 19th Century style kids games
- Musical entertainment featuring regional bands and entertainers. (Laura loved to have music parties at her home on the farm)
- Vendors for crafts and food.
- special events at the Laura Ingalls Wilder Homes and Museum